Thursday, December 1, 2011

Scale Military Modeller International Vol.41 Issue 485


The Suez Crisis of 1956 was one of the most controversial military actions ever entered into by Great Britain, and its effect would be to substantially change British Foreign policy. I wanted to replicate one of the iconic tanks from this conflict - a British Centurion as seen during the Suez Crisis. I began the project with AFV Club's 1:35 Mk.5 with Dozer kit, although I did not need the dozer blade. The colour scheme was taken from Bison Decals sheet 'Suez 1956, Part 1 - British Troops' and by studying the Bison sheet while watching an online video of the actual tank I was modelling, I determined that most of what I needed was already in the kit. The Suez Centurions had a canvas cover over their mantlet, which was not in the kit tank, but thankfully AFV Club make a suitable after-market item in rubber. For the lower hull I mostly followed the kit instructions, although some changes were needed on the glacis plate. The small alignment marks for not-needed dozer fitments were sanded off the glacis and then I added an extra set of spare tracks on the right hand side of the glacis, and put the standard shackle points on the nose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...