Monday, August 22, 2011

Aeromodeller 1953-05


WHEN I flew my first control line model, I got giddier and giddier as I spun round until I fell Hat on my back. This did the model no good, and made the local aeromodellers laugh immoderately. 1 accordingly decided that the only way for mo to enjoy flying a control line model was to sit outside the circle, and I therefore devised and built this control pylon, operated by a small joystick, flying my models in the same way as one flies a real aircraft. There are several advantages in using a pylon. You can start, set and release the model yourself, whilst still being within easy grasp of the stick. As the circuit is rigidly fixed, you can fly the aircraft indoors, missing obstructions by inches and taking full advantage of the available space. I have even flown a model in a drawing-room, on 7 foot lines, though I had to answer later to my wife for the oil spots on the carpet. Mainly however, " indoors " refers to flying it inside a hangar on 60 foot lines. It is fascinating to do aerobatics with the aircraft a few feet in front of your face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...