Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Model Airplane News Magazine December 2011


Scale model aircraft are a great way, and sometimes the only way, to see a historical aircraft fly. Invariably at a fly-in, the aircraft that gets the most attention are the ones with top-notch weathering, detailing, and a fully decked cockpit. Unfortunately, I've found that pilot figures usually didn't look like the real thing. Following the philosophy, "If the model looks real, so should the pilot," I created my own pilot figure company called Best Pilots. I sculpt, make molds, cast and paint my pilot figures so that they look as realistic as possible. Since I paint quite a few pilots a year, I thought I could share some of my knowledge. Before painting, it's really important to clean the figure. You really have to ensure it's free from any mold release agents so the paint will adhere properly. Also remove all flashing and traces of the molding seams. I use rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush and give the figure a good scrubbing. Soap and water and even carburetor cleaner all work well with cast figures. For this technique we're using my latest figure, "RAF Ace, Sailor Malan." I will also be showing other Best Pilot figures to illustrate different techniques.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...